Divorce in Scotland

Decree nisi and decree absolute are orders granted in English law in relation to divorce. In Scotland it is different and the court will grant a decree of divorce which is a final order. Most of the times in Scotland financial and other matters in relation to separation will be dealt with by way of a written agreement with no need to ask the court to intervene. After the agreement is signed you can apply to the court for divorce without needing to bring in all the other issues that arise on separation. Separation agreements must be fair and reasonable at the time they are signed, so it is important, even if you do not raise an action in court, that you get advice from a solicitor with experience in family law.

If you require any advice on separation or divorce, please contact our expeienced solicitors, Iain Wilson and Sarah Lynch on 01698 373365 or pop in for some FREE advice at our office on 34 Hill Street, Wishaw, ML2 7AT.

Share this post with your friends